Sunday, July 5, 2009

Lettuce Love the Vegetable Scents of Summer

Apparently I love the smell of vegetables. Two of my all-time favorite scent notes, especially during the hot & steamy months, are mimosa and tilleul (aka linden or French lime blossom). In case you’re looking for recommendations for amazing mimosa soliflores they are Parfums de Nicolaï Mimosaique and L’Artisan Mimosa Pour Moi. The best tilleul fragrance I’ve ever comes across is Parfums D’Orsay Tilleul which I literally bathe in on hot days; Jo Malone’s French Lime Blossom is also nice but you can also get by with a cheapie from Provence Sante called Tilleul (of all things). I’ve read reviews about my favorite mimosa and tilleul soliflores on other blogs and found that many folks notice a decidedly vegetal quality to them. I wouldn’t have noticed this cucumber association had it not been mentioned, but, as it goes with the power of suggestion, now I do. Cucumbers don’t really smell like this – it is the fragrance industry’s translation of cucumber that people are smelling. Nevertheless, I think most of us can identify the scent of cucumber, tomato or other vegetal aromas in our fragrances.

It’s July, therefore it’s steamy hot in Jersey, so I’m loving Roger & Gallet’s Lettuce soap, as well as their Tilleul shower cream and body lotion. I adore Miller Harris Geranium Bourbon and Annick Goutal’s Folavril which both smell like the most refreshingly joyous tomato plants and geranium leaves. If you had a vegetable garden growing up or have one now and love the scent of tomato plants, you really must try both of these fragrances. I also have a gigantic vat of Marc Jacobs Cucumber body splash, which is a nice scent, but needs to be applied about six times per day, which isn’t something I usually get around to doing.

I think most hardcore perfume aficionados might balk at these vegetal scents and not consider them “real” perfume. In a way, I understand that, because I wear these scents during the hottest days when I can’t bear to wear a true perfume. Nevertheless, I love me some lettuce…and tomato….and cucumber…when the thermostat
rises.

Oh, and don't even get me started on this brand I just found at Williams Sonoma called Cucina. They have a hand wash and lotion that smells like zucchini flower...

7 comments:

Ines said...

I love the smell of tomato leaves (and tomatoes) and I can understand the need to freshen up with a vegetable smell - I think it beacuse I associate vegetables with refreshing food - so something refreshing in the summer for my stomach and for my nose. :)

Tania said...

I never would have thought of Geranium Bourbon smelling like tomato. i will have to sniff it when I get home!
My favourite tomatoey summer scent is Sisley Eau de Campagne. I also like a Victoria's Secret cucumber-smelling cologne called Tranquil Breezes. (I'm not sure they make that any more). I've tried a few other cucumber scents, but apart from Marc Jacobs (you're right, too much reapplication needed with that one), they are disappointing.

Brian said...

Tania, does Campagne last? I've heard it's so short lived, and yet when I smell it in the store I love it.

Tania said...

Brian,

not terribly long-lasting, no - it's top-note-heavy. On me it's gone after maybe two hours, but of course it could be different for you.
I find the top so refreshing I don't mind respritzing during the day.

ScentScelf said...

I hate to be an enabler, but...

...I know of the Cucina line you speak of, I think you might want to check out a line of hand soap (liquid pump) from Yves Rocher. I'm about to use the last of a bottle that smell just like sweet (red bell) pepper...about to start the bottle of tomato-basis...mmmm...

Not sure if I'd enjoy perfume with these notes, per say, but it is a lot of fun--if a bit disorienting, sometimes :) --to wash my hands with them. In the kitchen.

Abigail said...

Ines,
Isn't it a wonderful smell? Along with all the garden herbs - basil, thyme, sage, etc... (ahhhh)

Tania,
I have Sisley's Campagne - I should have included it in this post. It's like tomato plant fireworks.

ScentSelf,
Gee, thanks for enabling. I'm helpless to tracking down a bottle of YR now...

Anonymous said...

Linden is one of my favourite all-time scents, and why I wear La Chasse aux Papillions.

I also love the scent of tomato -- have you tried Memory of Kindness? I am aching to get it.

Funny though, in the heat I have not been turning to light refreshing scents, but heavier ones (for me, anyway) -- Tauer's Incense Rosé for example, and Maroc pour Elle. Most unlike me.

-monika