Monday, September 22, 2008

Ode to Hay


I love the scent of hay. Today I wore People of the Labyrinths, Luctor et Emergo and I kept thinking what a wonderful scent it is. I think POTL smells mostly of hay, play-doh and cherries but in the best possible way.

Serge Lutens Chergui also contains a gorgeous hay note. Chergui is intoxicating. I think it’s mostly about the hay note.

The smell of hay seems so insanely complex. I think it’s similar to tobacco and sandalwood in its complexity. It’s as if all the beauty of the meadow is wrapped up in that hay note. Hay doesn’t just smell like dried grass, it smells like everything ~ the grass, soil, fields, wind, sun, sky, cows, flowers, weeds and straw all rolled up into one gorgeous aroma.

3 comments:

Aimée L'Ondée said...

Have you tried Parfums de Nicolai's Vie de Chateau? You'd probably really like it. I have a 5 ml sample with most of it left, and unfortunately I don't dig it much (it has a bit of grapefruit *shudder* in it). I've been wondering how to get rid of it. Send me an email if you might be interested in giving it a good home.... :^)

ScentScelf said...

I absolutely love Chergui. Only recently finally gave it a go, and can't believe I've missed it all this time.

Am a hay fan myself...one of my all-time faves is Fleur de Narcisse. Which I may need to go back and add to my fall list at your previous post...

Tania said...

I think Annick Goutal Eau de Ciel smells like hay. I have no idea if it's supposed to, mind you... ;-)

OTOH, I have a Santa Maria Novella cologne called Hay, which smells nothing like it.